Saturday, December 6, 2014

Craft Tube Ornaments & More

If you had a chance to read my Christmas Tablescape post a few days ago, I included a little teaser of the craft tube ornaments which I created for my botanical themed tree.  Well, the teasing is over!  I'm going to give you the skinny on creating these simple yet elegant ornaments.  It's basically the same design as the party popper invite but you don't fill them up.                                  



I used this great Christmas wrapping paper which I found at Michael's a few weeks ago (in the dollar bin, no less).  I love a good bargain!  The small scale leopard print covers the ends and the larger scale botanical print covers the body of the tube.  A thin ribbon forms the hanger.  The craft tubes are available in a 24 pack at Hobby Lobby but you could also recycle toilet paper rolls.

Tutorial:


Steps 1-5

Steps 6-9

Just a little tip as you assemble these:  I think using the scrapbook adhesive is easier (and a lot less messy) than using the glue gun. Here's the type of adhesive I used (and always keep on hand).  Hobby Lobby generally has a 40-50% off coupon out there so you can save a little money too.  It also works great for gift wrapping.



As I was assembling these "ornaments" for my tree and then taking pictures for the blog, I thought of some other great uses for this fun papercraft:

Place Card 
The decorated craft tube would also be great as a festive "place card" for a Christmas gathering, birthday dinner, or New Year's Eve dinner party.  You could just add a tag with each guest's name.  To make it even more festive, you could actually hide a "surprise" in one of the tubes for one lucky winner.  You'd need to change the end where hanger/loop is so it tears open versus the ribbon just pulling out of hole.  Tieing the ribbon to a small washer would tear the paper to reveal the hidden surprise.  

Twelve Days of Christmas Calendar 
I'm also thinking of adding these to our family tree as a "12 Days of Christmas" Advent Calendar.  I would fill each of them with a couple of treats for our two boys (who are 13 and 10).  They still look forward to the Christmas Elf leaving a treat each day.  I would also add a Bible verse or instruction to perform a Random Act of Christmas Kindness in each tube. It gives us an excellent way to remind the boys of the true meaning of the season.

Here are a few more pictures of the Craft Tube Ornaments:




I hope you are enjoying the holiday season with family and friends.  This would be a great project to do with your girlfriends as a "Deck the Halls" Girls Night In or as a Christmas Craft Night with your kids for your family tree.  Although it can be a busy and often stressful time of year, it doesn't have to be.  Relax, take a breath, sit down with a cup of hot chocolate (with extra whipped cream), and watch a Christmas movie with your family or friends while you create special memories with the people you love the most.  Let us remember the true meaning of the Christmas season... 

Hark the herald angels sing
Glory to the new-born king.
Peace on earth, and mercy mild,
God and sinner reconciled!
-Wesley

No comments:

Post a Comment