Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Weekly Menu Board

Hey there - have you had a chance to check out the post on my new Kitchen Command Center (KCC)?  The original design included a quick reference folder, a magnetic bin for shopping lists/notepads, and a magnetic bin for our takeout menus folder and family reference folder.  That was actually supposed to be it but I got to thinking....which can sometimes get me into trouble!  But not this time.  My KCC seemed incomplete somehow so I added a menu board to help organize our weekly meal planning.                        
          
There are myriad examples of menu boards on Pinterest so there's bound to be one that will meet your needs.  I wanted something simple, compact, and magnetic.  I already had most supplies on hand including the square linen canvas, ribbon, and several clothespins so that was my jumping off point.  



Here are the supplies I used to create the Weekly Menu Board:

12 x 12 linen or burlap covered canvas

hot glue
ribbon
natural clothespins
scrapbook paper
small black letter stickers 
full sheet label paper
chalkboard tag
small kraft sacks
chalkboard stickers
chalk & chalk pen
super strong magnets (3)



First, I glued the black grosgrain ribbon equal distance from outside edge leaving 2" of canvas showing.  



Before gluing the remaining components (clothespins, chalkboard header, and sacks to hold meal option tags), I did a "dry fit" to make sure I had the spacing right before actually gluing.    



I then created the chalkboard header and chalkboard stickers using the same technique I used in my glass chalkboard post.  I printed off desired words and images. Rubbed back generously with regular chalk.  Placed word or image on front of chalkboard and traced with pen.  I then traced with chalkboard marker, allowed to dry, and then lightly rubbed entire area with chalk.  



I created my meal option tags in my "Pages" app on my iPad using a chart (but skipping every other space).  I printed this off on a full sheet of label paper and cut out each label using my paper cutter.  I also cut out several pieces of scrapbook paper (1" x 4") attaching  meal option labels to each piece.  You could also print directly onto your scrapbook paper.  I also plan to laminate these tags for longevity.    



The addition of the Weekly Menu Board was the finishing touch I was looking for to complete our Kitchen Command Center.  I've already noticed our boys getting more involved choosing meals for the week.  I think it's important to empower kids to make healthy food choices.  What better way than involving them in choosing and preparing meals.  Cooking and eating should be a multisensory experience.  

Shopping for fresh ingredients at your local grocery store, farmer's market, or even picking fresh berries or corn at a local farm can be a fun outing.  As a young girl, I have great memories of picking and shucking fresh corn.  As toddlers, my boys loved visiting our local berry patch and could not resist sampling the yummy produce. 

I hope this post inspires you to create a menu board that will encourage your family  to make meal planning a fun, multisensory experience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment