Sunday, November 16, 2014

Go Texans Cookie Cake

Although yesterday was the official end to my younger son's football season, his Texans team was ready to rumble in the championship game against the Ducks.  Win or lose - it's been an outstanding season!  We celebrated with a homemade cookie cake... Texans style.          



No matter what team or event you are celebrating, a cookie cake can be personalized just for you.  If you've never used a piping bag, do not be afraid!!  I repeat, don't be afraid!  It's much easier than you think and everyone will be impressed with your cake decorating skills.  You don't have to tell them it was snap!  

Here are the supplies you will need:
  • 12 x 17 cookie sheet with edge (I used a Calphalon nonstick pan).  
  • 3 packages - Betty Crocker Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix (make according to package directions).  **I always use real butter not margarine and it turns out perfect.
  • 2 containers of vanilla frosting 
  • Wilton Icing colors:  red-red, royal blue, black
  • Wilton 12" Disposable Piping Bags
  • Plastic Adapter (allows you to change tips on bag)
  • Piping Tips (#14 star tip for blue and red on Texans symbol and stars, #21 star tip for border, #3 round tip Texans word)
  • Printing of desired design - I printed off Texans symbol and stars.  I cut out designs, placed them on cookie, outlined with toothpick, and filled in with colored frosting.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Combine cookie mixes, 
softened butter, and eggs (I used my KitchenAid Artisan stand mixe).  Pour on to cookie sheet and spread evenly to edges.  Bake 
for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Let cool completely. While 
cookie is cooling, stir color into icing and prepare your icing bags with adapters and tips (#14 for red and blue).  When mixing colors, I added a little black with blue to make it more navy versus royal. 





Place your cut out paper designs on cake, trace with toothpick.  Fill in with coloring icing.  Pipe star border on entire cookie cake.  I added Texans word at top because it felt a little blank (printed and 
traced through with toothpick).  The only thing I wish I had on hand was red-white-blue sprinkles for the border but I still think it turned out great! 


By the way, my son's team pulled off a well-fought win 7-6 to earn the league championship for his grade level.  It was a win-win weekend for football.  Our local Houston Texans also came out victorious 23-7 in Cleveland.  Did you see JJ's awesome touchdown reception?  Sweet!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment