Saturday, September 19, 2015

Simple & Spooky Mantle

As I mentioned in my previous post, it's officially fall even though the weather in my neck of the woods isn't cooperating...yet.  Maybe it will cool off a little by the time October rolls around.  Although I don't normally decorate for Halloween, I'm helping with a fundraising event in October which has gotten me in the spirit of the spooky season.  It was way past time for me to update my mantle anyway. Although the layout pretty much stayed the same, I came up with a simple and spooky design just perfect for Halloween.



I needed a clean slate to begin the transformation so I removed the bird art and moss balls that I featured in my Simple Spring Mantle.
  

I added a piece of gauzy fabric across the wooden mantle to give it a creepy texture.  



I replaced the bird art with tile-looking art overplayed with chalk art with the word "spooky".  I created chalk art using the same technique I detailed in a previous post, Framed Glass Chalkboard.  That post gives step by step instructions on how to create any type of word art in chalk. Here are the basics:  

  • print out the words you want in font and size of your choice
  • dry fit words to your chalkboard
  • rub backside of paper with chalk
  • place in position on chalkboard using a little washi tape to hold it in place
  • trace letter design
  • remove paper
  • fill in with chalk pen

I replaced the moss balls with white pumpkins.  You could leave them as is or you could distress them with burnt umber and black glitter paint.



I placed black glitter branches in front of the art and peeking out around the potted pumpkins.



Lastly, I sat a small skeleton adjacent to the art work.  He's looking toward the television which kinda makes me laugh. He's probably watching football (Go Texans!) or ESPN.  I do live in a house full of boys after all!  

Sources:

Creamy Gauze Fabric - World Market (Halloween area)
Black Glitter Branches - World Market (Halloween area)
Small White Faux Pumpkins - Michael's
Burnt Umber, Black Metallic paints (Folkart Brand) - Michael's
Chalkboard - Michael's
Chalkboard Pen, Chalk - Michael's
Small Black Skeleton - Target

Don't forget to look a discount off coupon for Michael's.  I get weekly emails for both Michael's and Hobby Lobby each week which always includes at least a 40% off coupon.  Sometimes even 50% off.



Have a spooktacular time creating 
your own unique mantle design!



No comments:

Post a Comment