Thursday, November 20, 2014

DIY Craft Table

Are you looking for a new or at least improved table for crafting?  I mentioned on my creative space page that the most functional aspect (and my favorite) is the table I created using components from IKEA.                                                                       


I have to be honest here...I have a love-hate relationship with IKEA.  It has nothing to do with the quality of their products (although some might question that).  I think many of their items are quite stylish and very affordable.  I have been happy with the console table (which I use in my foyer) and beds for both my boy's rooms. My love-hate has to do with the actual shopping experience.  I don't know if all their stores are as enormous or as chock full of stuff as the one near me but I find them absolutely overwhelming.  It's total sensory overload!  I almost feel like I need an anti-anxiety med to calm my nerves.  

So why shop at this particular store for this particular project?  You will save a ton of money and any anxiety you may experience will be worth it (I hope, for your sake).  I've learned how to make my shopping experience more tolerable and less stressful:  (1) never shop there on the weekend, (2) always shop there during an off-peak time like the middle of week at mid-morning, (3) always  create your shopping list online before heading out, (4) bring a 
buddy along to help you, (5) definitely enjoy a snack in the cafe.  
  If you don't have my issue, well you're home free with this project.  If you have my issues, pull up your big girl panties (or big boy undies) and deal with it!  I mean that in the nicest way.  It's kind of like childbirth...once your DIY craft table is born, you will forget about (hopefully) any pain involved in the so-called birthing process. 

Alrighty then...I'm getting off my soap box now so I can actually give you the skinny on how to put this baby together (wink, wink).




Supplies needed:
  • 2 - KALLAX Shelving Unit
  • 2 - KALLAX Set of Casters, Silver (gives you 4 total)
  • 1 - LINNMON Table Top (29.5" width x 59" length - there's also a shorter length ~48")
  • 4 - BRANAS Baskets (or other style)  
  • 4-6 L-Brackets and screws
Directions:
  • Build shelves according to instructions.  Add a set of casters to each shelf.  
  • Place the shelves table top distance apart.  Lock casters in place.  Have a buddy help you lift table top onto top of shelves (one shelf on each end). 
  • Attach table top to shelves from underneath using L-brackets.
  • Put together baskets and place in opening.
And the DIY doctor exclaims in delight - 
"Congratulations  - It's a craft table!!" 

Now get your craft supplies together.  This baby's ready to roll ...literally!  Look for an upcoming post on how to organize your  table so it works like a well-oiled machine. Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment