Monday, April 20, 2015

Kitchen Command Center

I have a dirty messy little secret (and I'm not alone). Based on what I've seen at the homes of family and friends, many of you share my tendency for hanging myriad items on the refrigerator. You know the kind of countless items I'm talking about.  Here's a partial list of things on the side of my frig - photos, children's art, recipes, school info, camp info, group exercise schedule, kid's sports schedules, magnets, graded papers, report cards, magnetic bins, highlighters, business cards, box tops, and a school phone directory.  It's a complete mess!!  I wince and look away each time I glance at it (which is multiple times per day) promising myself I will work on this one of these days.  Well, enough procrastinating!  I am bound and determined to make sense of this cringe-worthy chaos.  Today is the big day...                                           
  


Wondering just how messy this area was before I got to work organizing everything?



First things first, I removed everything and wiped the area with cleaner.  Nothing like a clean slate... It already looks better!



 I sorted through the mess seemingly important items.  Most items ended up being recycled, shredded, trashed, or relocated because all kinds of "papers" dominated the clutter I removed.  Only a few important papers will come back because I refer to them on a regular basis.  I found the perfect solution to keep papers not only neat but easy to access (and update a needed) - clear front presentation folders with 3-rings brads as well as page protectors.  These are inexpensive and readily available at office supply stores (and even the grocery store).  You may already have something you can use in your stash of school or office supplies.



I attached magnetic strips to back of quick reference folder with hot glue.  I then placed several page protectors in the folder securing with brads.  I printed "Quick Reference" on an 8.5" x 11" piece of scrapbook paper and placed it in first page.  Papers I will include in my quick reference folder will be the group exercise class schedule, school calendar, sports/game schedules, cooking measurements conversion chart, and important phone numbers (for caregivers).  I have additional empty page protectors for any new papers that I deem worthy of the quick reference folder.  My litmus test - if I don't look at a paper on at least a weekly basis it doesn't go in the quick reference folder.

I have one magnetic bin for pre-printed grocery shopping lists and blank note pads.



I have a second magnetic bin for a takeout menus folder and a family reference folder (both folders are same style as quick reference).




Our family folder includes papers that I refer to occasionally (on a biweekly, monthly, or quarterly basis):
School - class schedules for each child, login IDs/passwords for district websites to check grades/assignments, teacher contact info
Sports - roster with contact info 
Church - volunteer schedule/duties, small group contact info
Neighborhood - contact list
Gym/YMCA - family member login and account pin



For most families, the kitchen is the heart of the home.  Since we spend a lot of time in the kitchen area and we have a refrigerator, why not make it a multifunctional appliance. It's a logical place for locating your kitchen command center (preferably on the side).  I seem to do more planning in the kitchen than any other room so it's nice having my shopping list and notepads handy.  I can also quickly peruse my takeout menus on those nights when I don't feel like cooking.  This system is super flexible - if you notice that you are referring to papers in your family folder more often than expected, you can easily move those papers to your quick reference folder.     



This project was a snap and I don't know why I put it off for so long.  It can easily be personalized with different folders and scrapbook paper that coordinates with your decor.  I found my mesh bins (with magnets on back) and chalkboard clips at HomeGoods.  You could likely find everything you need at the dollar store.  I hope this post inspires you to create your own unique kitchen command center.  I feel more productive already!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment